Thursday, March 11, 2010

Acts 5:17-42

Today was pretty sick in Acts. Peter and the apostles got busted out of prison by an angle which would have been unreal. I love the boldness and the character of God for his desire to be glorified and to call his disciples to be completely selfless. Instead of breaking them out and having them lay low so he could protect the longevity of their ministry he just had them go for it. They were told to go to the temple the next day and speak to the people the words of live. I think there is so much to be said for my thoughts of longevity as opposed to God's purpose. Not that I am to live a completely unhealty lifestyle, but to let tomorrow worry about it self and be completely obedient to what God has called me to today.

When they were brought back in and questioned they said vs. 29 "We ought to obey god rather than men." I love their complete trust in God and to do only what He has told them to do. Charles Stanley said "My job is to be obedient to what God has called me to do and trust Him with the consequences."

After Gamaliel gives baller logical advice the apostles are still beaten for their belief in Christ and they walk away with rediculous perspective. vs. 41 "So they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name." Wow... I pray that i can have that kind of reverence for my God. The kind of respect, honor, fear, just complete awe that I would be honored to be beat for His name. That's inspiring. I walk away from a good worship night honored to know him, I walk away from a good sermon feeling a reverence for God. I rarely face persecution and when I do I can't think of when I felt honored that God would consider me worthy enough to suffer for Him. God has really challenged me today to follow Him radically today, trust Him with the consequences, and to live with such awe that I would be honored to suffer for His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment