Monday, March 22, 2010

Acts 7:51-60

Stepehen at the end of his discourse is facing the consequences of his speech and his ministry. He is about to be killed for his ministry. He looks up and sees the heavens open up and sees Jesus standing at the right hand of God. That had to be nuts first off, but what incredible confirmation. They then stoned him and his response is disgustingly cool, "Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, 'Lord, do not charge them with this sin."

This is nuts how he had such a genuine heart for the people that were stoning him. I think if I were to ever face persecution like that my last thoughts would be of myself. Probably a sense of self-rightousness that I am a Christian who is 'legit' enough to die for my faith. But the genuine love of God that was manifested in Stevens heart that he would pray for his persecutors, and intercede on their behalf is just silly. In addition he was the first one. That makes such a big difference, because I feel like I might pray for the other person now because I've read of Stephen doing it, I've heard of other christians asking for forgiveness for the people that are about to persecute them. But this is genuine, this is real, there was no template for Stephen to remember when Paul died, or Peter died. He just really cared that much. He really loved that much. He regardless of what it meant to him and benefited him loved.

I hope and pray that I can have that genuine level of love for people, that I can selflessly love regardless of what it means to me. What a challenge, but what incredible potential to show the power of the holy spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment